Raeford Presbyterian Church

History

The Raeford Presbyterian Church has a rich heritage. In 1776, the Bethel Presbyterian Church was organized about four miles south of Raeford, North Carolina. The Bethel Church can be called the “mother church,” as 27 of 31 charted members from Bethel presented letters in 1899 at the spring meeting of the Fayetteville Presbyterian with a petition containing names of 65 persons asking to be constituted as a church in Raeford. During the reading of the letter, seven of these men were commissioned to organize the church.

            The commission met on June 27, 1899 in the auditorium of the Raeford Institute with a sermon by Reverend P. R. Law, prayer and thirty-one people presented a letter to connect themselves to the new church.  

            A new facility was erected and became the Raeford Presbyterian Church from 1901-1921. The first brick for our present facility was laid by Mrs. W.C. Brown on July 25, 1921. Work proceeded steadily on the building until completion with the first service on Easter Sunday, April 1, 1923.

            Early on the evening of Saturday, October 23, 1943, the church suffered a fire loss to its sanctuary. Due to the war and other extenuating circumstances, the first service in the renovated building was held on December 23, 1945.

            The Raeford Presbyterian Church purchased a Casavant organ and had it installed in October of 1969. This organ continues to be a major part of our worship service.

Acts 6: 2-4

So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, “It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables. Brothers and sisters, choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them  and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word.”



Website Builder